Another excellent day in Düsseldorf, great weather, 4 brewery pubs and great food! Oh, and of course, must mention the beer!
Piccie on the right is the mash and boil kettle at Schumacher. Smelt good!
Tips of the Day
First thing though, quick bit of history for that next trivial pursuits night. Any mistakes don't blame me.
- Our mates the Neandertals came from just east of Düsseldorf. Nice looking bunch.
- Düss was first settled around 700AD where the river Düssel joined the Rhine. They called it Düssel-dorf or Düssel village.
- The oldest brewery in Düss is Schumacher-1836.
- The oldest Altbier brewery in the world is Bolten just 20km west of Düss-1266.
- Before the early 1800s the beer was called bier. Funny that.
- The beer started to be called Alt later on in the 1800s, in fact it was called Alt Lagerbier.
- Alt's cousin, Kölsch came about due to new kilning techniques in the UK in the mid 1800s-lighter coloured malt. Simple.
Some food for thought though for the smarty-pants. How can a brewery be the oldest Altbier brewery from 1266 if it wasn't called Alt then? Replies on a postcard. Or email!
Warning-before you open up the Schumacher link, pour a cool Altbier (any 5% ABV dark beer if you aren't lucky enough to have the real thing!), crank up the volume to maximum and wait.....
Can we continue? Okay then.
So the day started with an awesome look around Schumacher brewery (thanks Josef the Brauer) followed by a few glasses of wets, delicious, always tastes better after watching and smelling it being brewed!
A short walk across Düsseldorf and next stop Füchschen, some more beer and some serious meat dishes!
A quick beer in Schlüssel and then our final brewery pub, Uerige great attitude, 'no coca cola, no lemonade' just beer! Love it.
I know it's quite sad but has anyone been to Düsseldorf Altstadt (or Bamberg or Munich) and ever waited for a wooden barrel to be tapped? No? Anyway, it's just like being a kid waiting for a geyser to erupt! Well, maybe.
Tour Photos. (Please note that copyright applies unless you're in them!).
See you all again soon!
Not quite sure what Eric Clapton and Düss have in common but they have now!